[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Club Wellcraft Forums • View topic - 2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Club Wellcraft Forums

2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Discuss any Wellcraft Excel Related Topics

2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Postby JustinM86 » January 29th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Ok, so I've read enough on The Hull Truth and a little here that the Walkaround started as an Excel. I've had mine since November of 08, I've really enjoyed. In 2011 I repowered with a Honda 225 and last summer had a hard top installed. I've just about got it the way I want it except for trim tabs. I also had the cabin reupholstered and a few new electronics. Any opinions on this boat?? I know it's a little late in the game to ask questions but wanted a little feedback. Good, bad, ugly?
JustinM86

Re: 2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Postby seabob4 » January 30th, 2013, 12:55 am

Justin,
Yes, she did start life way back in the early 90s as an Excel, until WC bought the company. We built literally 1000's of 22 WAs (later the 23, than the 24) over the years. That says something right there, even though she was a great value, if she was a shitty boat, they wouldn't have sold...
seabob4

Postby JustinM86 » January 30th, 2013, 1:37 am

JustinM86

Postby seabob4 » January 30th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Justin,
The 22 WA was definitely cored with wood in the transom, although I would think that in the latter stages of her build, say circa '02 and later, she got all composite coring. Maybe even earlier, I left WC for Stamas Yacht in May '00...

If you drill into saturated wood, you'll know it. The shavings really won't be shavings at all, just a wood colored "glop" in the flutes of your drill bit. If the wood is rotten, it will be black. Coring doesn't absorb water, but that doesn't mean water can't get in between the laminates and the coring. Most transoms, when cored with composites, are cored with either Coosa board or Penske board. Neither will absorb water.

It sounds like you have a solid boat, based on what you have told us. So the key from here on out is to keep her as solid as can be, and continue to use the practices you have been using, i.e. filling holes with 5200, that sort of thing. And most importantly, don't let water sit in your bilge. Keep it dry, even if it means getting down on your belly and soaking up the remaining water the bilge pump can't evacuate. A dry, clean bilge is a happy bilge, and all your equipment will thank you!!
seabob4

Postby JustinM86 » January 31st, 2013, 12:55 am

JustinM86

Postby seabob4 » January 31st, 2013, 1:01 am

We do our best, my friend!
seabob4

Return to Wellcraft Excel