Club Wellcraft Forums

2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Discuss any Wellcraft Excel Related Topics

2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Postby JustinM86 » January 29th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Ok, so I've read enough on The Hull Truth and a little here that the Walkaround started as an Excel. I've had mine since November of 08, I've really enjoyed. In 2011 I repowered with a Honda 225 and last summer had a hard top installed. I've just about got it the way I want it except for trim tabs. I also had the cabin reupholstered and a few new electronics. Any opinions on this boat?? I know it's a little late in the game to ask questions but wanted a little feedback. Good, bad, ugly?
JustinM86

Re: 2000 Wellcraft WA 22

Postby seabob4 » January 30th, 2013, 12:55 am

Justin,
Yes, she did start life way back in the early 90s as an Excel, until WC bought the company. We built literally 1000's of 22 WAs (later the 23, than the 24) over the years. That says something right there, even though she was a great value, if she was a shitty boat, they wouldn't have sold...
seabob4

Postby JustinM86 » January 30th, 2013, 1:37 am

seabob4 wrote:Justin,
Yes, she did start life way back in the early 90s as an Excel, until WC bought the company. We built literally 1000's of 22 WAs (later the 23, than the 24) over the years. That says something right there, even though she was a great value, if she was a shitty boat, they wouldn't have sold...

Thanks so much for the info. I have torn the internet apart on what I'm getting ready to ask you and to no avail have found much of anything, even tried contacting Wellcraft several times with no luck. Does this boat have wood coring or composite?? I know in the cabin there's marine plywood (I found this when redoing the interior). I have installed some scupper valves last year and when I drilled some very slightly moist material came out. I'm not an idiot but I have no idea what composite coring vs wood coring looks like on the end of a drill bit. The transom is solid, I've pulled transducer screws and no water, let it set for days with the screws removed and still nothing. I have resealed everything I can think of on the transom and other places where I believe water intrusion can be a problem with 5200. The only thing left is to install a new rub rail this year. Unfortunately I have to do things in steps, the new engine wasn't something I was budgeted for in 2011. Had a 2000 Evinrude Ficht that blew the powerhead and couldn't justify rebuilding that engine with it's reputation and the piddly warranty the shop was gonna give me. Sorry to get longwinded and I hope I don't aggravate you with questions.
JustinM86

Postby seabob4 » January 30th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Justin,
The 22 WA was definitely cored with wood in the transom, although I would think that in the latter stages of her build, say circa '02 and later, she got all composite coring. Maybe even earlier, I left WC for Stamas Yacht in May '00...

If you drill into saturated wood, you'll know it. The shavings really won't be shavings at all, just a wood colored "glop" in the flutes of your drill bit. If the wood is rotten, it will be black. Coring doesn't absorb water, but that doesn't mean water can't get in between the laminates and the coring. Most transoms, when cored with composites, are cored with either Coosa board or Penske board. Neither will absorb water.

It sounds like you have a solid boat, based on what you have told us. So the key from here on out is to keep her as solid as can be, and continue to use the practices you have been using, i.e. filling holes with 5200, that sort of thing. And most importantly, don't let water sit in your bilge. Keep it dry, even if it means getting down on your belly and soaking up the remaining water the bilge pump can't evacuate. A dry, clean bilge is a happy bilge, and all your equipment will thank you!!
seabob4

Postby JustinM86 » January 31st, 2013, 12:55 am

seabob4 wrote:Justin,
The 22 WA was definitely cored with wood in the transom, although I would think that in the latter stages of her build, say circa '02 and later, she got all composite coring. Maybe even earlier, I left WC for Stamas Yacht in May '00...

If you drill into saturated wood, you'll know it. The shavings really won't be shavings at all, just a wood colored "glop" in the flutes of your drill bit. If the wood is rotten, it will be black. Coring doesn't absorb water, but that doesn't mean water can't get in between the laminates and the coring. Most transoms, when cored with composites, are cored with either Coosa board or Penske board. Neither will absorb water.

It sounds like you have a solid boat, based on what you have told us. So the key from here on out is to keep her as solid as can be, and continue to use the practices you have been using, i.e. filling holes with 5200, that sort of thing. And most importantly, don't let water sit in your bilge. Keep it dry, even if it means getting down on your belly and soaking up the remaining water the bilge pump can't evacuate. A dry, clean bilge is a happy bilge, and all your equipment will thank you!!

Thank you so much for the response.These forums truly are mountains of knowledge and information, especially when you can find people with first hand experience.
JustinM86

Postby seabob4 » January 31st, 2013, 1:01 am

We do our best, my friend!
seabob4

Return to Wellcraft Excel