[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Club Wellcraft Forums • View topic - 1995 Scarab 302 Sport for a re-wire...

Club Wellcraft Forums

1995 Scarab 302 Sport for a re-wire...

Discuss any Wellcraft Scarab Related Topics

1995 Scarab 302 Sport for a re-wire...

Postby seabob4 » January 5th, 2013, 8:27 pm

BlueChip on THT brought his 1995 Wellcraft Scarab 302 Sport for a re-wire. I first posted this on Classic Aquasport, so forgive the Aquasport references.

No, she's not an Aquasport, but she was built right across the alley from the Explorers, Ospreys, DCs, the 175s, 200s, the whole 90s AS gang. For those who have 90s vintage Ospreys, you can see some similarities...

My home away from home for too many years!!

We built hundreds of 302s back then, even a few for the Sarasota Police department rigged with twin 7.4 I/Os. She is/was a beautiful boat, the entry was sheer poetry...

Just a couple more pics...

Twin 250 OX66 Yamahas, 62 MPH on the GPS. Sweet old girl in excellent condition! She'll be fun!!
seabob4

Re: 1995 Scarab 302 Sport for a re-wire...

Postby seabob4 » January 5th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Thought I'd spend a little more time as to how I go about a re-wire. The Scarab is a familiar boat (although it's been about 13 years since I last seen one at the factory), so I have a bit of knowledge as to how she was built, where things were run, where to look for what I want to find.

Started by removing the helm switch panel, freeing up the main accessory harness, or as some call it, the "hull" harness...

This left me with basically accessory wiring and engine harnessing inside the console. I knew the wiring ran up the starboard side, either under the gunnel through a rigging tube, or...

...inside the rod pocket, basically laying on the built up area atop the starboard chine. Once the rod pocket was removed, it also gave me access to the rigging tube running to the console wire pass through...

So know that I have it pretty easy to rig...or de-rig, in this case, I'm going to pull everything out of the console and start over. I'm thinking of mounting a piece of starboard inside the console to starboard to mount the DSM 300 and the Clarion Amp, we'll see.

The helm switch panel is now just a piece of metal, all new switches and breakers...

Believe I'm going to re-paint and use different labels. No, I AM going to use different labels! The PO replaced the original plastic panels with aluminum, so the labeling was what he thought looked good...10 years ago! Not any more...

Hope to really get into her tomorrow, maybe even mess with tearing apart the back end...
seabob4

Postby seabob4 » January 5th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Now we have a console that is begging for new stuff...

All the harnessing I pulled out, waiting patiently in the aft quarters...

More to come, as I try to get the stern/bilge area cleaned out...

Damn, boats get dirty with age...
seabob4

Postby bkcorwin » January 5th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Looking good Bob. Interesting to see that even the scarabs have that same Wellcraft style bilge access. My 220ccf had it and the 290 coastal does as well. The size of the thing does not agree with the size of my head.

B
bkcorwin

Postby seabob4 » January 5th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Brian,
I'll most likely pull the frame of the access door off. Typically, this will give close to an 1 1/2" extra clearance, which, although may not seem like a lot, can mean a TON when it comes time to getting in there...

Was considering last night about relocating the oil tanks to the transom, but there just isn't room. The bilge pumps live under the tanks, so they will be coming out...but, unfortunately, will go right back in the same place when I'm done with that area. But, once I see what goes on outboard the batts, they MAY get relocated out there. Nothing's gonna happen to a Yam oil tank, but bilge pumps and float switches? Different story!
seabob4

Postby seabob4 » January 6th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Rather than typing a whole bunch with pics, thought I'd just do a vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z49law1EB30&feature
seabob4

Postby 290Coastal » January 7th, 2013, 10:27 am

Looks Great, Is a rewire expensive?
290Coastal

Postby seabob4 » January 7th, 2013, 2:07 pm

seabob4

Postby seabob4 » January 27th, 2013, 8:56 pm

For those who don't frequent THT, just a little update. Her helm now looks like this...

And her cockpit lighting will look like this...

ImageImage

Hopefully finish her this week. Then on to a Palmetto 33 for new electronics...

In about 10 days, my buddy's fully re-done 1973 Aquasport 22-2 will be here from North Carolina for all new rigging. She's gonna be fun!

Business is good, so that means life is good!
seabob4

Postby andysdeuce » February 27th, 2013, 11:53 am

Great wiring job Bob. I'm sure bluechip will appreciate the work you put into the rewire. I am a THT member and have been following Bluechips thread. I got this forum addy from THT and thought I would join being as I have a Wellcraft also.
I build hot rods for my own pleasure and do my own wiring on them. Do you color code your wiring on boats?? I see about 4or5 different color wires being used on your rewire work. Just wondered because it would make trouble shooting electrical problems easier. Thanks for the pics and information.
andysdeuce

Next

Return to Wellcraft Scarab