Club Wellcraft Forums

Seacock: Trouble?

Discuss any Wellcraft Coastal Related Topics

Seacock: Trouble?

Postby KiaOra » February 16th, 2013, 1:12 am

I took a hard look at the bilge today where I have three seacocks. On one (first picture), the bolt coming out of the seacock to hold the handle has rusted to the nut. On another (second picture), the base looks pretty corroded and at an angle to the bottom of the boat. Any thoughts on whether this is urgent or normal level corrosion? Sent the first picture to my service guy and he thought it was probably OK but keep an eye on it. Don't want spend money just to spend money but also don't want real problem on the water.

Thanks,
Greg
Attachments
seacock3.jpg
Picture 2
seacock3.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 18389 times
Seacock1.jpg
Picture 1
Seacock1.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 18389 times
KiaOra

Re: Seacock: Trouble?

Postby Captain » February 16th, 2013, 8:35 am

I would say (no professional here) if you can operate them manually (mechanically smooth...not loosie goose) they are probably fine.

If they are almost un-movable...exceedingly hard to manipulate back and forth...you might want to drop a few bucks.

Maybe soak some WD 40 then use a wire brush on all metal parts to brighten it down through all of that surface corrosion to get a good look at what things look like under the scale...might not look too bad (and if a wire brush causes any problem you were so close to a "on the water problem" you'll be glad you at a dock.

Just a thought...
2005 50th Anniversary Edition Coastal 232
"Reel-Lax!"
Beaching, boating, or bikini watching every weekend!
Captain

Postby bkcorwin » February 16th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Been there done that. Same boat too I think, 2008 290 coastal (saw your thread on tht).

My 08 coastal had the same corrosion. The threads on the valve handle actually rusted off and the handle had nothin to grab on to. I had them replaced. If I were you I might do the same as id wager the shaft may be pretty weak and may not hold up when you need it.

I can't see the second pic so well so its hard to understand what you mean about at an angle to the hull. But if the thruhull is loose you will want to fix that id think.

Brian
bkcorwin

Postby KiaOra » February 17th, 2013, 12:39 am

Thanks to both of you. Brian. How much did it run you to replace the seacocks (all three or just one?).
KiaOra

Postby bkcorwin » February 17th, 2013, 2:21 am

Hi,
I replaced four valves, generator, raw wash down,ac,livewell. Thru hulls were fine and left in. Believe the cost to replace all was 600 bucks. Just did this last year.

Brian
bkcorwin

Return to Wellcraft Coastal